14 Nov 13
BRIEF STATEMENT OF PROGRESS
Friends, I am making much progress in development of this Civic Mentor system. It’s still too “fast a moving target” for me to report in detail — except to say that I will endeavor to place practical subsystems into your hands, as fast as I can polish them enough for un-confused public application.
Meanwhile, I shall also endeavor to keep you informed so you will know when and how you will be able to start testing to see if the Civic Mentor can and should fit into your life, and where, when, and how (and most importantly — WHY).
Please watch the faster-moving Pittsburg City-Journal for bulletins announcing what’s up and the availability of the readied subsystems.
See you on the Journal
P.S. I will fix this first page to look more like a proper first page — far less wordy, more graphical, and easier to make sense of the contents. Had to rush it into play, for various reasons, and haven’t revisited it much, since. As you can tell, all of this is a work in progress. Bear with me, if you please.
Posted: 12 July 13
WELCOME TO THIS
TEMPORARY CIVIC MENTOR PORTALPlease Note: This site is undergoing very early stages of development. It will become what I envision, all in good time (but not fast enough for my taste). But, I have strong reasons for “jumping the gun” and making this rough portal to the Pittsburg City-Journal available to you without delay. 8/27/13 — This is an incredibly powerful website-hosting platform — I am so pleased I’ve committed to it, though the learning curve is steep. Still, this is going to let me fulfill the dream far faster than the free sites could, alone. Stand by. MUCH IS GOING ON BEHIND THE SCENES. I’ll keep you informed on my progress through the Pittsburg City-Journal territorial bulletin board, linked below.
THIS IS THE FRONT DOOR
ACTIVE CIVIC MENTOR SYSTEMS
1. LINKS TO ACTIVE SYSTEMS
- Pittsburg City-Journal (PCJ) - Just this one system, for now, which is a collection of practical community bulletins. One click will take you to a digital “bulletin board.” There, each flip-card, when clicked, will present for reading the actual bulletin it represents. The whole thing is undergoing drastic revision from its rough form to smooth, with big changes in focus, logic, and design.
- For now, please hold down the Control-key when you click the PCJ link — if you want it to open in a new tab.
- This process started out to inform a large neighborhood (and help design other systems) and grew to encompass the City, and beyond, far faster than I had intended. Resulting in the need for drastic revisions in the PCJ approach.
- Many more systems are to follow. I’ll accumulate ‘em here, as they become available.
2. MY NEXT STEPS — OVER THE SHORT-TERM
- Intensive self-training on powerful website programming languages now within my reach
- I intend to list on this page at least the highest priority systems under construction. As they become ready for public testing, I will place a link in the active section, above.
- I intend to provide a thorough, cogent explanation of the whole “Civic Mentor” project.
- I intend to develop this page into a professional interface for easily accessing the entire Mentor system-of-systems.
- In other words, this page is likely to change quite often.
3. SYSTEMS UNDER CONSTRUCTION
3.1 Neighborhood Management Systems (NMS) (City and County-wide) — a complete program to help every single neighborhood, large or small, that so desires, to get organized and to stay that way, regardless of inevitable changes that can occur.
- This will include a free, highly recommended website to help organizers do the job efficiently. Theoretical and practical advice galore. A communications infrastructure to help neighbors to bond and operate together — and to help organizers join forces with other organizers so as to help neighborhoods to develop and exchange information and other resources.
- Whether a neighborhood is advanced or just starting to unite, we will soon be able to form alliances that will change everything about civil living, for the much better — as we combine our collective wisdom and energies for the common good.
- And, with NMS’s in place, it will be a relatively simple matter to “plug-in” well-designed and standardized Neighborhood Watch Programs, Disaster and Emergency Readiness Programs, and Quality of Life Programs to great effect — and to plug-in rational, constructive Political Action Programs and other needful tools, as well — and in productive partnership with all the government levels — and with all the other vital organized components of our society.
- And surely, every neighborhood organizer needs to sense that they are not alone — and they will not be alone for much longer (I earnestly believe).
3.2 Neighborhood Alliances — as NMS’s begin to form and become recognized, we will be able to link together into alliances that can do things — for the individual and common good — beyond the capabilities (or even vision) of single or small groups of neighborhoods.
3.3 Special-purpose versions of Civic and Personal Mentors to intimately and thoroughly serve every societal level — individual, family, household, vocational/avocational enterprises, neighborhood, district, city, county, economic region, state, the nation, as a whole — and global / civilization-levels.
- Much of this will largely depend on the Corporation, “The Mentor Enterprises / ELMS,” becoming fully instituted and operational by 2016.
- But, much can be done before that happy date.
- (ELMS = “Entire Life-time Management Systems”).
WHY? Because these Mentors, when taken as a whole, can be reasonably said to encompass the virtual totality of a person’s existence.
- There is much to be considered as we humans struggle to best simplify and conduct the business of living well and of fulfilling our best purposes — during our entire life-spans — within complex civilizations.
- The complexity of life must be made and kept manageable to suit our wants and needs.
- But, how can we be sufficiently thorough, in the face of complexity, without the aid of systems?
- Countless and great practicalities have built-up during human existence to advance and keep advancing the species.
- Why, then, must each individual have to undergo so much lengthy and wasteful “re-invention of the wheel” to figure out how to organize and manage their lives (starting as children) — when so much has already been worked out, tested, proven or discarded – and merely needs to be made known and accessible exactly when needed?
- I think that this will start to do the trick: PERSONALLY TAILORED PRIVATE & CIVIC MENTORS — in the hands of every single rational person — systematically formed and presented; easily adaptable to unique circumstances; convenient to adopt and refine; extremely pleasing and helpful to use and integrate into the everyday routines of life; standardized sufficiently to constructively harmonize with ALL the larger, enveloping social systems; collaborated upon and refined by the entire species, together, as the single great team it is becoming.
This whole project is just a beginning. At a certain point, fellow humans will be able to participate (Wikipedia-style, etc.) in the refinement of these systems — for it is the collective wisdom (and only the collective wisdom) which will help perfect the ultimate results. I don’t claim to know all things — just enough, I firmly believe, to undertake this project with humble confidence.
The human species is maturing exactly as well as total circumstances are permitting — and the magnificent Internet (a pivotal achievement) is accelerating the process of individual and collective empowerment.
- We are still creating and learning all the good we can make of the tools we keep devising to enhance life.
- Every achievement is a building block for the next.
- This is a magic moment in history — and we are writing this chapter — everyone matters in this.
- Never have humans (young or not) had greater potential to favorably control the circumstances of their existences.
- By METHODICALLY and WIDELY sharing best methods and practices for controlling what can and should be controlled (and by taking sufficient account of what can’t), we will fulfill our greatest promise, more surely, and sooner rather than later — UNDENIABLY.
3.4 Civics Research System – A special-purpose overlay on the entire Human Knowledge Base (HKB) and life’s assumed realities — which screens out information and sources having nothing or little to do — with practical and efficient execution, by participating citizens — of more mutually advantageous basic interactions with the TOTAL society — as it affects daily life.
The information thus gathered helps govern systematic design and construction of methodical civic procedures — procedures designed to prolong and optimize the life experience.
In other words, this yields a reference-catalog of topics, sources, and materials under consideration in construction of the Civic Mentor.
It lends authority to the work and permits others (as well as myself) to cross-check facts and logic or to probe more deeply into the thinking and bases behind the systems under construction.
Thus, this is a project management tool which is helping me to conduct thorough essential research, analyses, and syntheses — on work which must be done under the public eye, despite the risks, and produce reliable results.
A SPECIAL REQUEST
You might find it interesting to keep an eye on this page so you’ll be able to consider the new systems — and how they might be of use to you — instantly — without unnecessary delay. Then, please tell me what needs fixing, as your circumstances permit. Thanks
All Original Content © 2013 , The MENTOR Enterprises / ELMS, All Rights Reserved